Sorry not sorry.
I was super privileged to spend last week counseling at the Sr. High week at the Bible camp I grew up going to. (Well, I would have grown up going to it if I had ever grown up.) It was super fabulous and incredibly epic. Need proof?
- I got to see my Woofie! She’s pretty much my best friend in the world, and I have missed her turribly this summer. Just a few more weeks and we’ll be together like all the time. Watch out, West Virginia.
- I had a crazy cool group of girls. Two had been counselors/jr. counselors previous weeks, so they basically knew everything I didn’t, which was helpful… 😉 The other three included a girl I had counseled way back when she was a junior camper (I felt pretty ancient, not gonna lie), the always sweet younger sister of a girl I had been a tablesetter with, and a new friend who taught me “2.5” and humbled me with her sensitivity to God’s Word, even when it challenged her.
- No drama. The thought of Sr. High scared me because previous years had boy probz and dress code probz and just general drama probz and this year was unusually non-dramatic in all those ways. It was refreshing.
- I got to see some of my favorite people! You know who you are. Or you would know if you were reading this, which you probably aren’t since you’re working at camp. If you ever get the time to read this, know that I was super happy to see you. I would write your names, but a) breach of privacy and b) I’m paranoid about accidentally forgetting/misspelling/etc. and losing a fabulous friend.
- This quote happened: “Your lips move in ways unlike anyone else I’ve ever met!”
- This quote happened: “Betsy, you’re beautiful on the inside, not the outside!”
- This quote happened: anonymous camper acting as jailor during Capture the Flag upon the occasion of other players being captured and joining me in jail, where I had been imprisoned alone for several minutes: “Shoot, now there are good players in here!”
- I got to listen my girls quote hundreds of Bible verses every day.
- I had a free piano lesson with Mrs. Ried! I think I’m sort of a professional now.
- Someone was saved this week.
- This happened.
- Two words: cherry delight.
- The term “sportsing” was a thing.
- I found my new dream: to become a graceful ballerina-like ultimate frisbee player. So far, I’m more of an awkward hippo-like ultimate frisbee player, but that’s a start.
- My volleyball team lost to the winning team, so I think that means we came in second place, which is pretty exciting.
- We got to talk about tough topics like pride and anger and self-will and repentance and forgiveness and devotion and submission (and, of course, boys–it was Sr. High, after all), and we got to watch God work in hearts.
So basically it was like the best week ever and I want to go back.